Commentary and analysis of the Colorado Rockies Baseball Club.

September 09, 2005

Miscellaneous Ramblings

Last night, another solid effort for the pitching staff was unfortunately overshadowed by another not-so solid offensive effort. After collecting only five hits in 35 at-bats against the Padres, the Rockies' batting average on the road is .227 for the season, compared to .298 at CF. This is about where the Rockies have been hitting on the road all season. One difference, I believe, is that more hits have come at critical times with runners on base, exhibited by Holliday's triple with two runners on during the Rox' only legitimate scoring threat. I don't have statistics to support this belief, just my own observations. The really good news, however, is that the pitching staff has been much better on the road as of late. For the first time this season, the team ERA is below 5.00 on the road, at 4.98. The ERA overall continues a trend downward.

The Rockies are 4-2 with a 3.29 ERA for the young month of September. That is a worthy start towards continuing the trend of lowering the ERA each month of the season.

The Rockies find themselves six games behind the Snakes for the NL West cellar. The weekend series at CF could go a long ways towards the DITR goal of seeing Arizona in the cellar instead of the Rox. It's interesting, for all the money that Arizona threw around in the off-season, they're not that much better than the penny-pinching, rebuilding, youth-oriented Rockies.

Jack McKeon of the Marlins recently won his 1,000th game as a MLB manager. His earned his first victory when Harry Truman was president.

Consider this a warning. Football season is upon us, and while I in no way put football on the same playing field with baseball, I am still a die-hard, bleed predominantly-orange Broncos' fan. So, while this is in fact a Rockies blog, there will be periodic references and commentary regarding the Broncos.

Lasorda, who's been with the Dodgers for 56 years and married for 55 years, recently told this story: "My wife tells me one day, 'I think you love baseball more than me.' I say, 'Well, I guess that's true, but hey, I love you more than football and hockey.' "