Commentary and analysis of the Colorado Rockies Baseball Club.

June 07, 2006

Finally!

Finally, a DITr post. I know, it's been too long. I won't offer excuses. I won't make up reasons. I'll just agree that it's been far too long and leave it at that.

Finally, a rockies' win. It seems like it's been almost forever since we could utter those words. It was a six-game losing streak, but we as rockies' fans have endured longer and more grueling periods. I think what has made this spell more difficult than others I recall is that we just weren't scoring runs. I don't know how many times I turned on the game in the 4th or 5th inning and the score was 3-0, or 2-0, or 4-0, or whatever. The point is that very often we had a 0 next to our name. It doesn't take an analyst, which I'm, to determine that you aren't going to win many ballgames when you don't score. Prior to last night's game, our 10-day rolling average for runs scored was 2.00. 2.00!! That's Pathetic with a capital P. (Author's note: more on capital letters in a moment). The trend line on virtually all the charts of offensive statistics would make even the most seasoned Wall Street broker take a plunge from the clock tower at Coors Field.

One trend I mentioned awhile back that the staff at DITr would monitor during the season was the average runs scored at CF versus the entire National League. Through last night's games, the NL average for runs scored per game is 9.59 while the average at CF is 8.71. The average at CF has been less than the league for a month now. Another trend I am working on is batting and pitching home/away splits over the history of the franchise. I have batting trends complete but am still working on pitching, so stay tuned. I think it will be interesting.

The way the season started and had been progressing, I'm not sure anyone thought it would come to this. At the very least, I doubt anyone expected it to happen in such drastic fashion. On May 21, the rox were in first place. Twelve days later they were in last. The Designation Committee met Monday in an emergency session and unanimously decided to repeal the capital R, thus the small r in references to our beloved team in this post.

Until next time (soon), go rockies!