Commentary and analysis of the Colorado Rockies Baseball Club.

February 08, 2007

Humidor Conspiracy?

Yesterday, as I was perusing various articles on Al Gore's favorite invention, I noticed an article about young hitters prime for a breakout season in 2007 on mlb.com. Brad Hawpe's name was mentioned, but what caught my attention was a comment regarding the rockies' abandonment of the humidor. Now, I couldn't recall hearing or reading about this anywhere during this offseason. I wouldn't put it out of the question for myself to happen to overlook this detail, but someone in the rox' blogosphere would have certainly picked up on it and reported it. If not the bloggers, then without a doubt the numerous critics of the rockies on the favorite talk shows would have brought it to light. So, my initial thought was that it was a mistake by mlb.com. Since I was overdue for a posting, I thought what perfect little tidbit for a centerpiece of an entry. Well, when I went to mlb.com this morning to copy the text out of the article and paste it right here, that sentence was no longer in the article. Strange. Odd. Perplexing. Could it be that the rockies are actually doing away with the humidor? Could it be that MLB knows this but the rockies don't want it (at least not yet) to be public knowledge and some overzealous writer made mention of it for all the world to see before it was noticed and pulled from the article? I don't know, I'm not one to devise a conspiracy theory the minute something can't be explained, but this one has me wondering. After all, the humidor was in use for months before its' existence became public knowledge.

We are only one week away from our beloved team embarking on a new campaign. Unfortunately, our recent campaigns have most resembled a Nader presidential bid. We'd be much better off if Cheap Charlie (thanks Rick) wasn't our campaign manager, but unless you know someone with hundreds of millions of dollars that they don't know what to do with, we're stuck with him.

The Designation Committee has decided to take their annual field trip earlier this year, April 2nd to be exact. That's right, the committee will be attending opening day. I will be taking the four-block pilgrimage from the HQ of the bus company to the glorious confines of CF to meet the rest of the committee. You can expect a report on the committee's first impressions of the 2007 version of the rox.

Until next time, go rockies!

Labels: , ,