Commentary and analysis of the Colorado Rockies Baseball Club.

October 18, 2004

Election Analysis

I recently made the discovery that there are other things in life besides baseball. I was shocked at this discovery and I'm not sure the reality of it has fully sunk in yet. After the World Series is over I look forward to two days, the first day of Spring Training and the release date of the new version of the Lahman database. Hopefully you can see how this discovery would rock my world. I'm still perplexed at the thought, but nevertheless, it is true.

Upon my discovery I decided it might be a good idea to occassionally depart from the topic of baseball here at DITr. So, future topics will fit into one of two categories: "baseball" or "other things". This week's topic will fit into the category of "other things", specifically the upcoming Presidential Election. (Now, given the facts that W is an avid baseball fan, a former MLB owner, and a former candidate for MLB Commissioner, it would be easy to overlap the two, but I will try and resist the temptation.)

I am analytical by nature and love to do research, so with all that said, I'd like to offer my analysis of the election that is a couple weeks away. Now, before you close your browser figuring this is going to be REALLY boring, let me assure you that my election analysis will be much shorter than my baseball analysis. After all, I only recently discovered this stuff.

I did some digging in Algore's favorite invention and found some interesting data. According to my analysis, the Presidential Election boils down to one thing...Missouri. Let me explain my findings and I think you will agree. Since 1972, there are six states that have voted for the winning Presidential candidate in each election: Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, Ohio and Tennessee. Of these six, Kentucky, Missouri, Ohio and Tennessee have chosen the winning candidate each election since 1964. As impressive as that is, Missouri also voted for the winning candidate in 1960, giving it 11 straight Presidential Elections in which it voted for the winner. So, my conclusion is, there's a good chance that whomever wins Missouri will be our next President.

Now for the projection of who that might be. According to electionprojection.com, Bush holds a rather narrow lead of 3.24% with a margin of error of .8% in Missouri. The bottom line is, it seems as though we are in store for another very close, fight-to-the-finish type race.

I hope this analysis has been helpful. I promise, no more "other things" for awhile, just baseball.