Commentary and analysis of the Colorado Rockies Baseball Club.

May 03, 2005

In the Beginning

I'm sure most of you have heard the question, "Where was baseball first mentioned in the Bible?". The answer, of course, is in Genesis 1:1, the first verse of the Bible, which starts out "In the b(ig) inning..." I loved that when my dad first told me it when I was about 10 years old.

I say this to introduce what has, up to this point, been the second leading factor in the overall inefficiency of the rox' pitching staff, the "Big Inning". While watching Francis give up four runs in the second inning Monday, and recalling Jennings and Kennedy having the same problem in the Dodgers series, I wondered how big the problem of big innings was. So, I looked into it, and here's what I discovered. On fifteen occassions, the rox have given up four or more runs in an inning. They've given up four runs eight times, five runs four times, six runs once and seven runs twice. Overall, the rox have given up 50% of the runs they have allowed in 7% of the innings pitched. I have two words to describe this: bad and horrible.

I have decided to term this issue "Big Inning Syndrome" and the problem with walks "Chronic Walking Disease". Hopefully Dealin' Dan can discover the antidotes for these sometime this season. We'd hate for the "victims" to go untreated all year.

On a separate note, it's not very often you get to watch a young hitter mature right before your eyes. That, however, is what we have been fortunate enough to witness with Brad Hawpe. The announcement by Hurdle Monday that Hawpe has been moved up to the fifth spot in the order illustrates the growth he has already undergone in this young season. The move was primarily strategic to alternate right and left in the batting order, but it clearly illustrates the confidence Hurdle has in Hawpe. Barmes has already made himself the man to beat for ROY, but don't be surprised to see Hawpe in the hunt as well come September.

Wright vs. Redding tonight at 8:05. Let's hope Wright doesn't succomb to BIS like his last game.