Commentary and analysis of the Colorado Rockies Baseball Club.

April 19, 2005

Sound Familiar?

"(Insert Rockies' starter here) leaves the game with a lead or in a close ball game. (Insert Rockies' reliever here) comes into the game and fails to protect the lead or allows the deficit to increase."

I think I will just start every DITR posting with those two sentences from now on. It certainly seems to be a reliable, although dissapointing, trend. On Monday, the starter happened to be Chacon and the reliever happened to be Speier. What is particularly alarming to me about the Rockies bullpen situation is that it isn't one or two guys that are struggling, it's pretty much the whole crew that has shown the inability to get guys out at one time or another. In fact, the only member of the pen that hasn't given up runs in bunches and at inopportune times is the guy who was considered the weakest link of the bunch, Marcos Carvajal.

I know Helton typically starts the season slow, but I'm not sure how many times I've heard already, "boy, Helton JUST missed that pitch".

Dan Lucero, of Up in the Rockies, kindly pointed out to me that in my answer to last trivia question, I meant Kevin Sefcik, not Kevin Seitzer. He is correct. It's a little embarrasing to mess up the answer to your own trivia question. As for my latest trivia question, Head Bum, of Rox Head, alertly pointed out that Charles Johnson has returned to the Devil Rays and has some at-bats, so the total of players playing for three recent expansion teams is now eight. It's even more embarassing to get the question for your trivia wrong. Here are the answers to the most recent trivia: Quinton McCracken, Craig Counsell, Greg Colbrunn, Lenny Harris, Mike Myers, Vladimir Nunez, Bobby Witt, and of course, Charles Johnson. I'm still reeling from this last trivia fiasco, so no new question this week.

I forgot to mention in my last posting a couple of new features on the DITR website. First, for a few years now I have tracked the Rockies' ERA on a daily basis. As a result, I have a chart of the ERA since 2002, which will be regulary updated to reflect the 2005 ERA. Secondly, I have added what I call the "Season Snapshot". This is simply a summary of how we are doing for the season, both in terms of record, standing and a few statistics also. The snapshot will be updated each day, so visit often.

Today is getaway day, so that means an afternoon game. Go Rox.