Commentary and analysis of the Colorado Rockies Baseball Club.

October 20, 2005

Miscellaneous Ramblings

So, the World Series is set with Houston's win over St. Louis last night. Before the postseason began, ESPN listed all the possible matchups from least to most appealing and a Chicago/Houston series was the least. However, given how these two teams have been playing recently, it has the makings of a pretty competitive and entertaining series. In my opinion, the two best teams will be battling it out for top honors. Given how the Chicago starters have been pitching, maybe the bullpen pitchers should have to buy tickets to get into the World Series. I was talking with my baseball buddy Scot and he told me that, as a Rockies fan, he was sure there was some MLB rule limiting a team to two complete games per season. Like other stats, I guess complete games start over with the playoffs.

The Astros' fans have waited 44 years to get into the WS. If the Rockies can match that, then we only have 32 years to go. There is hope after all. I suppose my biggest concern is in the event that Tampa Bay gets there before we do. Now that would be depressing. I say that if we haven't reached the WS by 2037 we consider hiring Jack McKeon as manager.

In what may end up being the biggest move of the offseason, Leo Mazzone has reportedly accepted the job of pitching coach for the Orioles. Apparently Mazzone and Baltimore manager Sam Perlozzo have been almost life-long friends. So, the decision makes more sense from a personal standpoint than from a baseball standpoint. Mazzone's arrival in Baltimore could have an immediate positive impact on the Orioles, but will certainly have an immediate negative impact in Atlanta. After reading 3 Nights in August, I am convinced that the most important variable for a manager is his pitching coach. Not only a good one, but one that has been with the manager at length and they think the same way. Regardless of the pitchers that Atlanta has had during their streak of winning their division, Bobby Cox has had Mazzone by his side.

I have a new poll on the website and hopefully it will be a fun one. Vote for your favorite old logo. The choices I have are the original Colorado Rockies, the longtime Denver Broncos "D" and the Denver Nuggets from the 70's. You can also vote for another if you'd like. If you do, please email me your vote and a picture of the logo if you have it.

The DITR regular season awards ceremony is just around the corner. I am dropping my tux off at the cleaners tonight. I will be announcing the winners of the awards in an upcoming posting.

After a lengthy absence, DITR is bringing back a trivia question, at least for this post. Here you go: What current member of the Rockies organization was drafted by the Rockies out of high school AND out of college? Leave your answer as a comment or send me an email.