Commentary and analysis of the Colorado Rockies Baseball Club.

October 19, 2007

While We Wait for the Rockies to Play in the World Series, Part Two

My brother-in-law, who we'll call "Greg", has lived here in the Denver area for about four years or so. He's a transplant from Texas, where he was a transplant from Louisiana. He's a fan of all sports, but his passion is New Orleans Saints football. While in Texas he adopted the Rangers has his baseball team. During the time I've known Greg we've usually gone to one or two Rockies games together each season. He would root for the Rockies when we went, mainly because what else was he going to do, except for the time he went and the Rockies were playing the Rangers. During that game he rooted for his adopted team and the Rockies won the game (the only game the Rockies had won when he attended until very late this year). He would talk about the Rockies, but in a "at-least-it's-Major-League-Baseball" sort of way, not with much conviction one way or the other.

A few weeks ago, Greg and my fellow member(s) of the Designation Committee had decided that if the Rockies somehow managed to get in the playoffs, we would do our best to get to a playoff game. Right after the Rockies won and the Padres lost to force a one-game tie-breaker for the NL wild card, I bought three tickets to the play-in game, but didn't invite Greg. He seemed somewhat disappointed by this when I told him I'd been at the game. My bad. I assumed it was an event that "Rockies fans" would primarily want to be at. That should have been my first clue. The day of the play-in game, I went to Coors Field and bought tickets for Game 3 of the NLDS against the Phillies (working four blocks from CF has its advantages).

Witnessing the Rockies win the game to sweep the Phillies in the NLDS and celebrate their advancing to the NLCS was a wonderful experience. I was beginning to sense a change in the way Greg cheered for the Rockies. As the Rockies played Arizona for the NL pennant I could tell that he was becoming a little more involved than a mere by-stander. We each had tickets to the NLCS, I for Game 3 and he for Game 4. Fortunately, he was prepared and recorded the final out and ensuing celebration as the Rockies won to earn the right to play in the World Series. He showed me that video last night. While the celebration began on the field and in the stands, I could hear Greg screaming and hollering on the recording. I thought to myself, if I didn't know better, I'd say that was a Rockies fan. Shortly after the video was over he declared, "I'm a Rockies fan". Scenes like this are happening everyday, all over this city. As a dedicated fan, it's fun to see, and tried-and-true, die-hard fans are saying "welcome".

Greg, let this be my official welcome to the not-so-little anymore and growing group that call themselves "Rockies fans".

Until next time, Go Rockies!

Labels: , , ,