Commentary and analysis of the Colorado Rockies Baseball Club.

March 11, 2005

History of Baseball in Denver, Part III

For some reason, the previous poll was deleted, so I don’t know the results. Go to the polls, your vote does count. I have moved the poll from the blog to the webpage.

The Designation Committee met and decided to restore the capital R for the beginning of the season. We will see how long they keep it. For those new to DITR, please read the August 29, 2004 archive.

Please visit Rox Head, a fellow Rox devotee and blogger. I particularly like his term for Gen R, the Kiddie Corp. My friend Scot, who was a guest writer here at DITR a couple of months ago, has joined the 7% of Americans who publish a blog. Visit him at Admirable Thoughts. My friend Rick retired from blogging about the same way he retires in real life. Visit his new blog Notes From the Morning Meeting. I forgot to mention in my last posting that I started a second blog, Rockies Minor League Report. During ST I will be highlighting the Kiddie Corp and prospects in camp. Once the minor league seasons start it will be strictly prospects. Also, the DITR website and blog have new addresses. Please update your bookmarks and I encourage subscribing in some fashion.

This is the third and final part of the series History of Baseball in Denver. The format for this edition, Facts and Events, will be somewhat of a hodgepodge listing of interesting items, in no particular order. I must say, except for Hit or Error, this is the most fun I’ve had writing for DITR.

Ryne Duren pitched a no-hitter for the Denver Bears in his first game after a trade between the Kansas City A’s and New York Yankees June 15, 1957. Duren remains the only home pitcher to toss a no-no in the history of professional baseball in Denver. Read more about Duren in this 2004 article from Baseball Digest. Of course, Hideo Nomo is the only pitcher to throw a no-hitter in a major league game in Denver at CF September 17, 1996 for the Trolley Dodgers, aka Dodge Ball Boys.

On June 2, 1987, Joey Meyer of the Denver Zephyrs launched a 582-foot homer that ricocheted off of seat 9 in row 3 of section 338 in the upper deck of the east stands in Mile High Stadium, the longest home run in Denver history. To put it into perspective, currently the longest home run at CF was by Pizza Boy 9-26-97, also for the Dodge Ball Boys, off Darren Holmes that traveled 496 feet and I’m sure took a few years off the life of the concessionaire running the lemonade stand in almost straight-away center field. Until the Rockies moved into Mile High, the seat where Meyer’s home run landed was always designated with a different color than the seats around it.

In Part II I mentioned that Bryn Smith was one of several players who refined their skills in Denver as a minor league player and went on to have a successful major league career. Well, Smith not only played in Denver as a member of the Bears, but also as a member of the Rockies. Smith was part of the starting rotation for the Rockies’ inaugural team. He was the starting pitcher for the first Rockies’ home game on April 9, 1993 and earned the victory for the first win in Rockies’ history. Visit Retrosheet for the box score of that game, which I’m proud to say that I was at.

In 1983, longtime Denver promoter Barry Fey organized an old-timers game in efforts to persuade MLB that Denver deserved and could support a major league team. The game drew 57,000 fans, more than any major league game that year. I attended that game on September 30, 1983 with my dad and got to see the likes of Ernie Banks, Hammerin’ Hank and Willie Mays play and Joe DiMaggio coach. What a thrill for a 14 year-old kid who loved baseball! Somewhere packed in a box I still have the program from that game.

George Tebeau, mentioned a few times in both Parts I and II, starred for Denver teams in the mid-1880’s before making it to the National League. He also resurrected the Western League in 1900 and owned the Denver Grizzlies/Bears. Tebeau’s greatest achievement, though, was co-founding the American League in 1901, originally as a competitor to the National League before joining to form the major leagues in 1903. Tebeau went on to own the Kansas City Blues of the American Association. He is widely recognized as saving professional baseball in Denver and possibly Kansas City.
I know there are many important events that I have omitted. I welcome your comments regarding events you have read about or remember fondly. I hope, like me, you have a greater appreciation for Denver’s baseball history.