Commentary and analysis of the Colorado Rockies Baseball Club.

May 17, 2005

B.(I.)S.

In my last posting two weeks ago I introduced BIS, Big Inning Syndrome. I detailed how the rockies have had problems with the big inning and gave a few statistics. Since then I have been working on a formula for a BIS Index, to track how the rockies do throughout the season in regards to big innings. As of May 3, the BIS Index was at 5.21 and topped out at 5.31 on May 6. As of this posting, the BIS Index stands at 3.85, so the rox have been able to avoid the big inning for the most part in the last two weeks, having only four big innings during that time. Here's the formula I came up with: BIS Innings/Total Runs*100*(BIS Runs/Total Runs). I may still find some flaws in the methodology, so it is a work in progress at this point. I will mention the BIS Index from time to time in DITr.

A big DITr welcome to Blaine Neal, the newest member of the rockies bullpen family. He seems to fit right in, giving up two runs in one inning for his rockies debut Saturday. You have to give DD some credit, he obviously is constantly on the lookout for potential arms for the pen. Unfortunately, quantity is only a good thing if there is some degree of quality also. That combination seems to have escaped DD and Clint up to this point. Now, it's not all doom and gloom for the pen like it was in April. Theyv'e pitched well in some close games, but the pen is still a work in progress. One indicator that the pen has been better overall is one-run games. The rockies had only one one-run game in all of April, beating the Giants 5-4 on April 16. The rox have had seven in May, meaning the pen is keeping us in games and not giving up tons of runs late like we were accustomed to seeing in April.

There's nothing like waiting until the last minute. Last week I got a call with an offer I couldn't refuse, so I have signed a summer contract with the Real Men of the Highlands Ranch Metro District League. You can track our progress here. The schedule starts tonight, let's hope the Real Men can keep the capital R all season.